Background

2.17.2011

the final drive.

One of the things I love most about my family is the passion we have been instilled to have in whatever we do. When my brothers and I were little my parents gave us the opportunity and means to do whatever activities we wanted. And when I say whatever, I mean it. Between the three of us we all participated in basketball, softball, baseball, soccer, swim teams, tennis, boy and girl scouts, my brothers both played football, and I danced, took cheerleading, gymnastics and baton lessons. Not to mention church activities, choir, guitar, drum and piano lessons, middle school bands and choirs and of course the regular expectations of doing our homework and excelling in academics. As we got older, my parents eventually made us pick from what we were good at, but most importantly enjoyed. For me it was at first cheerleading, which I can now look back at and be extremely thankful did not work out, but I finally settled on baton. I didn't make majorette the first time I tried out and my parents told me I could either quit or keep going. I knew that whichever I decided they would support me 100%, but once I made my decision to continue they expected me to give my all, all the time. Long story short, I worked my butt off during high school, made some goals and with the help of my beyond amazing coach and parents, I made majorette in college! woohoo!

As for my brothers, they picked football. This may have had some pull of my dad being an athletic trainer and all three of us growing up on the sideline of Dothan High football games, going into the locker rooms at half-time, and having personal heros in the high school standouts we saw every Friday night. It may have been the fact that they played pick-up in the cul-de-sac we lived on every afternoon after school, or maybe that my brothers are just avid sports fans in general. But nonetheless, they chose football, and from then on football defined our family. Just like my parents told me, they also told my brothers that they were to put everything they had into what they were doing. We were never allowed to do anything halfway. First off, dad would get mad if we got hurt horsing around. And second, they wanted to see us excel, and in turn we were going to do whatever it took to do exactly that.


They both started playing in middle school and continued playing in high school. This also means that from the time my oldest brother Chris, started playing in middle school in 1997 and my second brother Cory, started playing in 2000 my parents and I were then at a football game either Tuesday, Thursday or Friday, sometimes all three, until Cory graduated in 2006. That's 9 years. I kept my parents coming to Friday night games for two more years, but every Saturday morning we would make our way to Birmingham to watch Cory play at Samford. So for the past five years, whether it was traveling to just Birmingham, or Illinois, South Carolina, Louisiana and a several other places, my parents have been there. Now that's 14 years.


My family's whole life has always revolved around football. Before we were born, my mother followed my dad to football games when he was the trainer at Troy. Since my brothers have been playing football, I've seen every game with the exception of a few the past few years when I had games of my own. When my family sits down at dinner we all talk about how the season is going, Dad always asks about the shoulder or ankles or if anything else hurts, and that's just how it goes. From spring training to the last game of the season, it's what we all think about. Whether I was cheering for Chris playing when I was in 7th grade or watching Cory when I was in college, I've always had a #51 or #66 to cheer for. But as with all good things, this too has come to an end.


Cory's senior football banquet was Tuesday night, and it was a day I thought I'd never see. One of the most powerful things about the night was seeing how God was glorified in all of his team mates lives, not only in the wins and success, but also through injury, loss and defeat. I've seen my brother go through a lot of different trials, and I've also seen him prevail by giving God all control.  Proverbs 3: 5-6 says "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will set your paths straight." Sometimes we don't understand God's plan for our life, but as long as we trust and lean, everything will be fine.


I know God has amazing plans for my brother. Football was just one of the seasons of both his and our family's life. It started when we were little on a high school sideline and ended in Samford's football stadium. I will never forget being able to watch my brother play football in college, and I know he will never forget it either.

Thanks for the memories, Cory. :) I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment