Background

4.21.2011

here's to home.

I love Birmingham.

love it. 

The past few years of living here and going to school here have been amazing. I've met the most amazing people, learned so much about life, school and other people and myself. I have not once regretted coming to UAB or Birmingham since I moved here 3 years ago. 

But right now, Birmingham is not home. 
and I need home. 

It's beautiful here, and I love going to school here, but I'm overly excited about going home, home for the summer. 

I've always told my parents I would never move back home again, not for school, not for summer and not after I graduated for sure. It's become a sort of threat from my parents to bring me home, like taking my keys away was in high school. 
"If you mess up your bank account again...." "If you don't go to rehab after your surgery...." "Find a job or....."

And the funny thing is it always worked. 
I came home the summer after my freshman year and this was my life.....

That summer consisted of having my identity changed to "Miss Carrie" or "the teacher the you can hug to get more goldfish and peanutty bars", "the all-time pitcher in kickball", even "the worst person in the world" after a 15 minute quiet time due to yelling in the bathrooms. Every afternoon I was showered with hugs and "I love you, see you tommorow's".

But honestly, I was miserable. I got up at 7, went to class went to work at 1 until 6 and went home and went to bed. I had no friends at home since they all stayed at school that summer, and I didn't even have time to see my friends that were at home. I stayed in Birmingham last summer so I could "escape" Dothan, but then I was in Birmingham with no friends and working 9-5 everyday. I do realize this is the normal life for every grown-up, but I've found out I'm not quite ready to go there on my own.

During one of my frustrated calls to my mom earlier this year I broke down and asked if I could come home this summer. I never thought I would ever say those words, and I don't even know if it will be first or last time I do say them. All I know is that right now, this is what I need.

So this summer, I'm taking it back home. It won't be filled with the precious faces above, but I'm determined to make it one filled of happiness, family and several beach trips. Since I moved to Birmingham 3 years ago I've found it's way too easy to concentrate on the negative. This summer I'm determined to work on focusing on the positives of life and learning more about myself and what makes me happy. I need a slow-paced life again. I need home-cooked meals, or at least nightly dinner with my parents. I need more hugs from my dad and seeing my mom's smile on a daily basis. I'm looking forward to the future and honestly, this may be the last time I can spend every night of the summer at home in my bed, living 90 miles from PCB.  I've gotten an internship with the local TV station and hopefully I'll be closer to finding out what I really want to do with life. 

So here's to home and being happy. See ya soon, Dothan. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment